Tigres’ technical assistant Miguel Mejía Barón has rejected the chance to be included in the 2018 FIFA Hall of Fame.
In a surprise move, the 73-year-old explained he was turning the award down out of modesty.
“I know what it’s like to be an imposter. It is one thing to understand the definition, but it is and another thing to truly understand the emotion. I didn’t like it, it’s unpleasant.” he said.
“So, I need to decline this appointment because of my modesty. It is a trait that I value greatly”.
He had been included in the national edition of the award along with Hector Miguel Zelada, Fernando Bustos, Aaron Padilla, and Arlindo Dos Santos.
Antonio Moreno, director of the Hall of Fame, noted that he was surprised by Miguel’s stance. “We were a little shocked by the fact that he believes he does not deserve this recognition”, he said. “We hope he reconsiders, but he’s a great friend of the Hall of Fame and we respect any position he takes”.
Mejía Barón has enjoyed an illustrious managerial career, winning a league title with Pumas in 1991 and guiding El Tri to a 1993 Gold Cup triumph, the runners-up spot in the 1993 Copa America, and the last 16 in the 1994 World Cup.
He has been Tuca’s assistant since the 2014 Apertura.
Here is Miguel’s statement in full:
Miguel Mejía Barón, auxiliar técnico de Ricardo Ferretti, fue elegido para formar parte del Salón de la Fama, por lo que le envía un mensaje a la afición en general. pic.twitter.com/zRySJh96nP
— Club Tigres Oficial (@TigresOficial) April 19, 2018